July 18, 2006

Hooplers and hullabaloozers

No sooner did the hostilities cease, the shelling and bombardment come finally and mercifully to an end, than I found my fortress, my home, beseiged by a raucous menagerie of revelrous sots, toasting and hurrahing the armistice.

This coterie of dipsomaniacs apparently consisted of miscellaneous colleagues and confidants of the Man and the Woman. Why this particular lot felt the need to so heartily revel in a victory that was not their own escapes me. Indeed, the only dog in attendance at this celebration was the Big Rodent, who as far as I know had no role whatsover in the canine conquest of the renegade crows. In fact, it seems to me his only contribution the whole affair was to heave his biscuits all over the rug.

At several points throughout the uproarious evening, I could not help but not notice all eyes falling on me. I am not entirely certain, but I seemed to feel as though I were being regarded with a peculiar admiration (mixed with... bemusement?). Maybe these people, realizing that they had no representatives of the victorious faction among them, turned instead to the only bona fide war hero in the room.

Yes, yes, “all hail the conquering hero.” Now for crying out loud, pull yourselves together and get out of my house.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Knitter said...

Shmool, I enjoy reading of your exploits. Since you are also a journalist and sometimes blog about your brethren, I thought you might enjoy this link: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2217355

7/20/2006 5:17 PM  
Blogger Matt B. said...

Many thanks. I have been looking for a 7th cat to round out my elite squad (see above), and Willy the Fingers fits in nicely.

7/21/2006 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home