July 03, 2006

Escalation and entrenchment

The conflict widens.

The crows continue to press their assault — their divebombing runs grow bolder, their belching caws more vulgar. And now, in the distance, artillery fire — scattered explosions and isolated rocketry salvoes. With each day they grow nearer and more general. I sense a buildup to a large-scale bombardment. It all has echoes of last year's Canine Uprising.

Except. The Big Rodent remains the primary focus of this corvine aggression. So, can it be these flak-bursts represent a canine call-to-arms against the crows? It is said that the enemy of my enemy is my friend... which places me in unfamiliar political territory. This insurrection cannot, must not go unchallenged, but at the same time, can I afford to align myself with the dog armies? To do nothing is inadvisable, and to let the slobberers do my fighting for me is unthinkable.

And now, the odds (and the stakes) have increased. The crows have called in their own heavy weaponry. Yesterday a squadron of screaming, armored crowbots thundered overhead, causing the very earth to tremble in awe. The dog's artillery barked its answer to this flyby challenge, and for a moment, I thought I might be in over my head. Only for a moment, mind you.

All is quiet at the moment, but it's that deafening kind of quiet that accompanies the steeling of armies, the girding of loins, the loading of armament, the sharpening of claws and talons. The fuse is already lit.

Time, perhaps, to turn to Sun Tzu's Art of War:
“Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.”
“One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Seizing the enemy without fighting is the most skillful.”
“To not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of virtues.”
Yes.
I shall provision and fortify my bunker. Dogs and crows I can handle; massive explosions and flying robots are another matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home