May 31, 2006

Now there's something you don't see everyday

Fascinating. While conducting my morning inspection of the premises, I noted a most intriguing and uncommon drama playing out across the street: two crows attacking a cat.

The cat was unknown to me. Fluffy, brownish, mild-mannered. Not a major player. For all I know, he was simply passing through.

The crows, on the other hand, were familiar. Don Croleone's boys. Not the type to agitate without cause, or indeed, without orders. Yet they repeatedly circled and swooped down at this brown intruder, snapping and swiping and barking their challenge.

The cat, to his credit, tried to maintain his poise. But it was a ridiculous sight. He was clearly outclassed, and their incessant strafing runs eventually drove him into the bushes, shaken and definitely schooled.

The interesting thing is, I honestly have no idea who to root for in that situation.

Postscript: The plot thickens. Possibly. Later in the day, I discovered on the sidewalk (I am not kidding) a crow's beak. Just the beak. With a few feathers still attached. Now that's interesting. I swear, I have no idea what political machinations are behind all this, but I must start spending more time at the front window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home